- Cooking with My Kid - https://cookingwithmykid.com -
Steak Sandwich on Toasty Garlic Bread
When I was a child, my mom rarely cooked steak, but on very special occasions she’d go all out and make a London Broil. As a little girl, I was never very into meals involving red meat. Well, at least not the first go-round… I would pick at my dinner on London Broil night, but the very next day I devoured the steak sandwiches she made with the leftover meat. The secret to mom’s steak sandwich is the toasty garlic bread on which it’s served.
For our Perfect Picnic  steak sandwiches, we marinated and grilled the meat with fresh, home grown English thyme, lemon and olive oil. We grilled it medium rare and chilled the whole steak in the fridge before slicing for sandwiches.
Just before the picnic we toasted up some garlic bread, assembled the sandwiches and wrapped them in tin foil to keep them warm. (Although, even at room temp this is still my favorite steak preparation.)
What kind of special sandwich do you like to make for a picnic?
Steak Sandwich on Toasty Garlic Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 14 to 16 mins
2 one pound sirloin steaks
juice of 1 lemon
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
4 sprigs English thyme
salt and pepper
2 French baguettes
1 garlic clove, cut in half
2 to 4 tablespoons butter, room temp
1 bag arugula
3 to 4 tomatoes, sliced
1. Bring steak to room temp in a marinade mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and fresh thyme.
2. Grill steaks, leaving the thyme sprinkled on top, over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
3. Let rest for 5 to 10 minute, then wrap in foil and refrigerate.
4. When it’s time to go to your picnic, slice baguettes in half, rub with garlic and butter both sides.
5. Turn on the broiler, slice the steak and tomatoes.
6. Set up an assembly line of arugula, tomatoes and steak.
7. Put bread back together and cut into 3 to 4 sandwich sized pieces.
8. Toast bread under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Remove bread and work quickly to assemble sandwiches starting with arugula, topping with tomato and then steak.
10. Wrap each sandwich in foil as you go.
Makes: 8 sandwiches
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: https://cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: https://cookingwithmykid.com/lunch/steak-sandwich-on-toasty-garlic-bread/
URLs in this post:
 : https://cookingwithmykid.com/lunch/steak-sandwich-on-toasty-garlic-bread/attachment/steaksammy_051911_lo3/
 Perfect Picnic: https://cookingwithmykid.com/dinner/perfect-afternoon-picnic-govino-wineglass-giveaway/
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.