by Apr 13th, 2011 // Favors, Handmade Gifts, Holiday, Party Food
I’ve been trying to come up with a colorful and exciting alternative to plastic Easter eggs… I wanted something that could be filled with candy or mini toys and still deliver that surprised and delighted look on the kids’ faces.
Yesterday, I was staring at my collection of empty toilet paper tubes and it struck me that they could very well be the perfect Easter egg alternative. I used recycled toilet paper rolls and leftover tissue paper from Dove’s 1st birthday presents. Much better than buying those plastic eggs and tossing them in the trash!
I instructed my kid to pull on both ends at the same time. It popped open and the toys and candy flew right out.
These Easter Poppers look and act just like classic holiday poppers except they are even more exciting. We filled some with wrapped candy and others with toys – both definitely surprised and delighted my kids! Look at them chasing the little bug toy around in their jammies. These would also make awesome party favors.
Easter Poppers Instructions
Prep Time: 5 mins Hands on Time: Hours of fun!
empty toilet paper rolls
colorful tissue paper
ribbon, cut in 3 inch pieces
small wrapped candy
1. Cut tissue paper into 6 inch wide strips. (They should be at least 12 inches long.)
2. Lay the empty roll at one end of the tissue paper very close to the edge.
3. Stuff candy and/or toys into roll and then stuff a bit of the tissue into the roll to hold the candy in.
4. Start to roll it all up in the tissue paper.
5. When you’ve gotten to the end of your strip of tissue paper, gather and twist each end.
6. Tie a piece of ribbon on each end.
7. Hide poppers throughout your house and let the fun begin.
8. Instruct kids to pull on each end of the popper to bust it open!
I can't wait to try these with my kids and I'm Jewish!
Great recycling idea!
hahaha! i am too. shhhhh!
Shouldn't step 1. read, "Convert to Christianity."?
What a fun idea! I love crackers during the holidays, Why not bring them to Easter?
Love this and I have a toilet paper roll collection too!
i KNEW someone was going to call me out for being jewish. not to worry, we made easter poppers for some friends. we're still planning on stuffing our faces with matzoh.