- Cooking with My Kid - https://cookingwithmykid.com -
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
Let me start by saying I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, but you must must must put some chickpeas in your own chocolate chip cookies before you judge. They are seriously the most addictive cookies we’ve ever made. Everyone in our household agrees. They taste (and look) just like cookie dough even after they are fully baked. Here’s how it all started…
Someone recently gave me a copy of Deceptively Delicious  and although I’m definitely NOT a food hider, I couldn’t help but take a look. Inside the book was a recipe for chocolate chip cookies containing chickpeas. My kid loves chickpeas and I never have to “hide” the fact that I’d put them into something. I asked if he’d like to make cookies with chickpeas he answered with an emphatic “yes!”
The only trouble was that the recipe itself contained all white flour and called for use of a whole lot of butter substitute. I’m not into baking with butter substitutes and I try to always substitute at least some flour and fat with healthier pantry items.
So, together my kid and I winged it and threw together a batch of experimental Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies. We dumped so many items into the mixer that I was a wee bit nervous how this would all work out.
I’m so glad we wrote things down as we cooked because my kid’s already begging to bake up another batch tonight. What kinds of unexpected things have you added to your cookies lately?
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 10 to 15 mins
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed + patted dry
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of kosher salt
1 12 oz bag semi-sweet choco chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpat mats (or grease with baking spray).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together fours, almond meal, salt and baking soda.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add chickpeas and beat until finely mashed. Add eggs one at a time continuing to beat.
5. Mix in yogurt and vanilla and then incorporate dry ingredients on low speed until dough forms.
6. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
7. Drop dough by teaspoonful on each cookie sheet about two inches apart.
8. Dampen hands and gently push on the top of each piece of cookie dough flattening each slightly.
9. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or just beginning to brown and toothpick comes out clean. Resist the urge to over bake! They will look undercooked but if the toothpick comes out clean they are done.
Makes: 4 dozen
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: https://cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: https://cookingwithmykid.com/desserts/chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies/
URLs in this post:
 : https://cookingwithmykid.com/desserts/chickpea-chocolate-chip-cookies/attachment/chickpeachocchipcookies_052111_lo5/
 Deceptively Delicious: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006176793X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mookd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=006176793X
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.