- Cooking with My Kid - https://cookingwithmykid.com -
Meatless Monday: Dutch Pancake Cups
Months ago when we made German Apple Pancakes  my kid asked if I could make him a mini one that he could have all to himself. Since they are so much like popovers, I attempted to make German apple popovers. Several unsuccessful attempts led me to try ramekins instead.
We had a bunch of berries in the house, so we strayed from the apple theme and macerating some berries instead. These turned out more like a Dutch Baby pancakes than a German Apple ones.
The taste was a perfect balance of egg and pancake. They are also quite beautiful and can easily be removed from the cups so that tiny hands don’t get burned by the piping hot ramekins.
Maybe not the healthiest every day breakfast, but a lovely weekend treat none-the-less.
Pancake Cup Recipe
modified from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics 
1 cup blueberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 teaspoons unsalted butter for the dishes
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
1/2 cup lowfat or non-fat milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
confectioners sugar for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine cinnamon and sugar.
3. Toss berries with cinnamon sugar and set aside.
4. Place 6, 8oz ramekins on two sheet pans and put a teaspoon of butter in each. Set aside.
5. Whisk eggs until frothy, add milk and combine.
6. Slowly add the flour, vanilla, melted butter and salt until smooth.
7. Place ramekins in oven for 3 mins until butter his melted.
8. Swirl the butter to cover the bottom of each dish.
9. Divide the batter among the ramekins and bake for 15 to 20 mins until puffed and brown.
10. Remove from oven and let sit for a moment until the middle falls.
11. Divide the berries among the dishes and dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes: 6 servings
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: https://cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: https://cookingwithmykid.com/breakfast/dutch-pancake-cups/
URLs in this post:
 German Apple Pancakes: https://cookingwithmykid.com/recipes/german-apple-pancake/
 Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400054354/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mookd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=1400054354
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.