- Cooking with My Kid - https://cookingwithmykid.com -
Savory Sitter: Homemade Pesto Dip
Hi! Heather the babysitter here bringing you another babysitter friendly snack! I absolutely love pesto. In fact, last summer I became so obsessed with making it that I stripped my poor basil plant of all of it’s leaves leaving it to wilt, bare in the summer sun. The great thing about pesto though, is you don’t need a long list of ingredients. It consists mostly of items that we tend to have around the house, garlic cloves, Parmesan cheese, basil, lemon, olive oil and (traditionally) pine nuts. I love to substitute Marcona almonds or walnuts for an even nuttier flavor.
As a babysitter, I’ve often noticed kids eating pasta stirred together with a store-bought version of this nutty basil puree. But the truth is that pesto is really easy to make at home. And to make things even quicker and healthier for the babysitter, we’ve made a healthy pesto dip. This way the kiddos can enjoy the flavors of pesto with veggies and your babysitter doesn’t even have to boil water.
First we made the pesto in the food processor. It’s fun to watch it blend into a beautiful green hue and then let the kids fold in the Parmesan at the end.
In this recipe you will have some extra pesto left over to save for serving over pasta, on a sandwich or however you desire.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
1. In a food processor, blend the garlic and basil until pureed. Add the olive oil in a steady stream.
2. Once the olive oil is combined, add the pine nuts and process until combined.
3. Using a spatula, transfer puree into a medium bowl and fold in Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the pesto to the yogurt and stir until combined. Serve with vegetables for dipping.
Makes: 1 bowl dip
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: https://cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: https://cookingwithmykid.com/appetizers/savory-sitter-pesto-dip/
URLs in this post:
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.