- Cooking with My Kid - https://cookingwithmykid.com -
We love Hanukkah. For the kids it’s all about the gifts. For the adults it’s all about the potato pancakes!
This week, as I was whizzing up potatoes and dreaming of frying them up and smothering them in sour cream and apple sauce, it occurred to me that everything else on the plate would be forsaken for these latkes of love. In reality, that’s akin to eating only fries for dinner. So… I decided to add a little protein in an attempt to make it health-ier.
I added a whole can of drained chickpeas to the food processor and served ‘em up without mentioning it. They were gobbled up faster than you can say Happy Hanukkah. This one is a keeper!
Chickpea Latkes Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins Cooking Time: 15 to 20 mins
5 medium russet potatoes
1/2 large brown onion
1 rounded tablespoons jarred minced garlic
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup canola oil
coarse kosher salt
1 jar apple sauce for serving
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes and onions.
2. Fit your food processor with the standard blade and the potatoes and the onions in the food processor.
3. Pulse until the potatoes and onions are finely minced. Add 1 rounded tablespoon of minced garlic and 2 eggs and pulse again.
4. Add the matzo meal and chickpeas and pulse once more. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
5. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet. When oil is hot (just before it smokes) ladle 1/3 cup sized portions into the oil and cook until golden brown on the bottom.
6. Once the bottom side is brown use a fork (yes, a fork!) to gently flip over the latke.
7. When both sides are golden brown, lift the latkes from the pan with a slotted spatula and place on a paper towel to drain. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. Add more oil if necessary.
8. When ready to eat, sprinkle the top of each latke with coarse kosher salt (to taste) and serve with a dollop of apple sauce. Makes 12 to 15 latkes.
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: https://cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: https://cookingwithmykid.com/appetizers/chickpea-latkes/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.